HomeAboutGalleryPurchase My ArtWorkshopsFeaturedFree Tutorials

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Just a Bunny




I've been working on this bunny portrait.  This is a crop of the face area.  I've created him in graphite but added just a touch of watercolor on his ears.  I first learned of this technique of adding just a bit of color to a black and white drawing by studying the works of Clare Turlay Newberry.  She was the artist that first inspired me to begin drawing.  Newberry had a wonderful gift of capturing the softness, the fullness, and the delight of an animal with just a few simple lines drawn usually in charcoal.  Time magazine said of Newberry, "Clare T. Newberry is the best cat artist since the Egyptians."  Marshmallow was my first Newberry book and remains my favorite.  It is the true story of the introduction of a bunny to Newberry's own pet tomcat; and of their eventual warm and loving relationship.




Wind and Honey Creations

4 comments:

Art From The heart said...

Your bunny is truly wonderful and makes me smile.
Years ago when I was a child I had a book titled oliver & Marshmallow ( or the reverse?) in any event this reminds me of that and it was a favorite. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Your bunny looks so soft and full of personality I want to pick him up! Great job!!!

Carol said...

I love your drawing. Gorgeous.

Kathleen said...

Beautiful drawing - the little touch of color is lovely! I really enjoy looking at older illustrated children's books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...