HomeAboutGalleryPurchase My ArtWorkshopsFeaturedFree Tutorials

Monday, October 19, 2009

Sun Burgers for Dinner Tonight

I enjoyed Sun Burgers for dinner tonight and it occurred to me that my vegan and vegetarian friends might be interested in this recipe. I got it from a vegetarian restaurant in Ft. Worth, TX about 30 years ago. The original was to serve 50! So I had to adjust it a bit. I have also adjusted it otherwise a bit over the years. So by now I guess its really my own recipe. This will make enough to serve about 6 and even have some left over for tomorrow's lunch.

Sun Burgers

Grind 1/4 C raw sunflower seeds in blender
Finely chop 1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil

Saute' sunflower seeds, garlic, and onion in olive oil until onions are clear.

2 1/4 C water
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1/4 C tamari soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon basil

Have ready 2 1/4 C of raw old fashioned rolled oats.

Add saute'd mixture to water, herbs, and soy sauce in a large sauce pan. Bring it to a boil watching closely so it doesn't boil over. Slowly add oats while stirring. Stir only enough to mix. Do not over stir. Remove from sauce pan and put in a bowl. Refrigerate until chilled - about 30 minutes to an hour. Shape into patties and microwave for a minute or two. (Microwaves vary so much. You'll have to watch and see what works with yours.) You can also cook these in a broiler or toaster oven. Serve on bread with whatever sandwich fixings you prefer. You might want to salt them when serving.
These patties can be frozen before the final cooking process. They will stay fresh in the refrigerator for just a few days if not frozen. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

Those sound very interesting! since I am a vegetarian, I will save this recipe to try. Thanks!

Covered in Chocolate Bakery Shoppe said...

oh these sound so yummy! Although I don't care for oats will try and if I don't like will test then with cooked rice for mine and follow the rest of your recipe!

Carol said...

This sounds really good and fairly easy to do. I can't see paying such high prices for the "name brand" vegetarian burgers on the market today so I will definitely try these, thanks for sharing!!

Artsnark said...

sounds interesting- I'll pass it on to my sis who's a vegetarian

Unknown said...

It I eat this, will I get some of your talent? If so, I'll eat them!

Sarah Knight said...

sounds scrumptious : )

Annette Tait said...

my mouth was watering until I read the oats - I get migraines from them funnily enough! (like bananas they have no salicylates in them). What else could be used? as I'd love to have a try!

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Thank you Alyson. I'm not sure if that is the key -- perhaps : )

Be sure and don't over cook or over stir the oats.

Annette, I don't know. Covered in Chocolate mentioned trying rice. Of course, you would want to cook it first. You can buy barley flakes that look kind of like oats. But I don't remember ever buying them. So I can't be sure they would work. Perhaps someone else has experience with them and will speak up.

Unknown said...

Sounds tasty, I'll have to try them soon.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a local very popular restaurant who is famous for their walnut burgers! Yummy Elizabeth!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...